7/01/2005

Foxy Brown


Self analysis: One of the minor reasons why I like cooking is because it has so many words and phrases which I like the sound of, such as blend until smooth, drizzle (nuts) over the cake, and golden brown that is used to describe when cooked food (e.g. pies, muffins, chicken wings) is ready.

Golden brown. So lovely, especially when pronounced with a British accent. But what I like more is the Japanese term used for the same doneness: kitsune-iro, literally meaning fox color.

I don't know what people associate a fox with, but for sure this expression has no sly, negative implication at all (and has nothing to do with 1974 Jack Hill film).

In fact, it reminds me of a beautiful kita-kitsune (northern fox) I once saw in Hokkaido, and every once in a while during my holiday cooking I fantasize about him:

He's young and proud, gazing at me quietly with his sharp spine line nobly shining under early autumn sunlight. He nears me, as if to show off his pearly white paws, and stops 1-1/2 arm-length away from me. Minutes of silence, looking at him and looking at me. And finally, not knowing what to do, I just exhale "hi..." when he suddenly but gracefully leaps a half axel and slaps me with his brush. I blink my eyes, and he's gone. I just stand still, keep staring at the light scar he's left on my knee.

Have I read this kind of story somewhere? At Prof Ukai's English class back in college? Was it "The fox"? I'm getting oblivious...


And that's when my custard pudding is ready.


[きつね色になるまで]

英語では golden brown というのですね。
(例:bake at 180C for 20 min, or until golden brown)
でも「きつね色」のほうが表現として好き。
きりっとした、でもしっぽフワフワの
若いキタキツネを思い起こさせるから。

ドレミファ ソ ソ ラファドラソ。

0 件のコメント: