6/16/2005

Egg-ology (1)


Surprising fact about my father that I learned this past weekend:

I called my mother and he got it instead.

"Oh, she's gone on a trip… to Iceland or somewhere, I guess. (okay, that doesn't surprise me any more) …By the way, you called me at the right moment. Tell me, how do you make boiled eggs?"

What? I mean, how could a 63-year-old man manage to spend his whole life without knowing such a thing?? I even felt shell-shocked.

But as I gave him directions, I realized that boiled eggs ("cooked eggs" according to American Egg Board) are not so simple at all:
- Start with water or hot water?
- Need to add salt to water?
- Boil at high/low & how long?
- SOS: What if egg white starts leaking out of a shell crack?
…and more.

Besides, I found the talk so pleasing, because he was listening earnestly, apparently jotting down all I said, just like a Cub Scout kid with his senior telling him how to spot a perfect site for a tent, or how to keep snakes off at night.

Maybe I should visit him this Father's day so we can make egg sandwiches together (then hopefully move on to egg Benedict).


「ゆで卵ってどうやって作るん?」と父。
「はぁ? ゆでたらいいだけやん。」と言いかけましたが
いや、もう全然「だけ」の話じゃないわってことに気づかされました。

電話切ったあとも、気になって調べてみたら
自分の信念揺るがす事実が次々と・・・(続く)

0 件のコメント: